Rural Health Promotion and Poverty Alleviation Initiative (RUHEPAI)
Fredica Baguma (Executive Director)
P.O Box 24808 Kampala,Millennium Chambers Building, 3rd Floor, Plot 960/961, Entebbe Rd, Kampala, Kampala
0414 501 013 / 0772 516 931 / 0703 962 866 / 0775 417 801
- NGO board
- Company Registry
- Local Community Development Office
Quality Assurance Mechanism
Regional Area of Work
Districts of Active Projects
Major Sectors of Work
- Agriculture / Rural Livehoods
- Children and Youth
- Gender / Women in Development
- Psycho-social Support / Counselling
- Water and Sanitation
Number of Paid Staff
5-10 paid staff
Approximate Yearly Turnover
Between Ush 50 million and Ush 100 million
Main source of income
In 2004 Rural Health Promotion and Poverty Alleviation Initiative (RUHEPAI) founders formalised a dream to work with poor rural women and youth in creating a difference in their lives. Six years later, a visible transformation has been made in the lives of people in Birere sub-county of Isingiro District and Ndejje Parish of Wakiso District. There are 939 beneficiaries who are farmers from 64 farmer groups.
To advocate for health and poverty alleviation initiatives that better people’s livelihoods through their own participation.
A community equipped with skills and knowledge in which women and youths have opportunities to work their way out of poverty, respond to disease prevention approaches and participation in environmental protection water and sanitation programs.
1. To strengthen capacity of women and youth groups to improve and change health and poverty conditions at the grassroots.
2. To provide necessary information on health and poverty situations to poor rural communities in order to enhance their knowledge and skills.
3. To initiate projects that focus on hygiene, water and sanitation improvement, better agricultural practices, environmental conservation and household income enhancement.
4. To conduct research and documentation on the rural health situation and poverty conditions.
Activities are coordinated from a Kampala head office which is also the liaison office for Wakiso District, with a field office in Birere sub-county of Isingiro District.
Household Income Generation
RUHEPAI enhances people’s income through revolving funds, saving and credit schemes and training in income generating activities. With this approach, commercially oriented projects have been initiated, including, goat rearing, vegetable growing, fruit growing, collective banana marketing and small scale business such as sweater knitting.
Agriculture and Environment
RUHEPAI engages people in rural communities to participate actively in programmes that address environmental degradation and soil exhaustion .This is done through trainings in organic farming, tree planting and energy conservation. Also, providing garden tools and grafted fruits seedlings makes a vital contribution to sustainable agriculture. This has increased farm yields, food security and establishment of woodlots and has improved nutrition.
Water Hygiene & Sanitation
RUHEPAI recognises that “water is life” and promotes innovative approaches to ensure that rural communities access safe water through construction of protected water sources and pit latrines and community sensitisation on hygiene. RUHEPAI has constructed seven shallow wells in Birere sub-county in Isingiro District.
RUHEPAI educates, sensitises and provides health information to rural people. The focus is on sexual and reproductive health, nutrition, disease prevention and management. People are also informed about their rights to access quality health care services. As a result, family planning methods have been adopted, proper food diets followed as well as voluntary counselling and testing and openness on issues of HIV/AIDS.
Skills Link and Training
RUHEPAI recognises that skills, knowledge and information are powerful tools for effecting rapid change in the lives of people in rural communities. RUHEPAI thus undertakes research and offers training
in various fields including farm management, organic farming, income generation, energy conservation and product marketing. We have developed sensitisation materials that include: A Farmers Guide to Sustainable Farming, Light Your Tomorrow with Today; Man’s Life Depends on Environment; Enough Is Enough; Stay Safe and A Guide To Water Sources Maintenance.
• Strong demand for services to our neighbouring sub-counties of Nyamuyanja, Kabingo and Masha.
• New entrants in some groups due to death, migration or marriage of previous members.
• Some groups requested support for more farm tools and more revolving funds and transport facilities.
• Lack of transport facilities to enable the field staff to reach beneficiaries.
RUHEPAI is grateful for the support rendered by different agencies and partners. Special thanks go to:
• Methodist Relief and Development
• AID Link
• Stop AIDS Now
• African Women Development Fund
Copyright © 2013 NGO Directory Uganda. All Rights Reserved.